The number of people in Van Nuys with dementia has increased. Dementia describes the group of symptoms associated with memory loss or other thinking skills severe enough to reduce a person's ability to perform everyday activities. Dementia is caused by disease of the brain. Symptoms depend on the parts of brain that get damaged and the disease that’s causing dementia. Dementia is caused when the brain is damaged by diseases such as strokes or Alzheimer’s.
A person with dementia may show any of the symptoms listed below, mostly due to memory loss.
- Everyday memory: Affected people struggle to recall daily events or recently occurred events.
- Planning, Organizing or Concentrating: In severe cases, a person with dementia is unable to remember the sequence of tasks necessary to prepare and cook a meal for example.
- Language: Difficulty with language. They are unable to continue the normal conversation by forgetting simple words or using the wrong ones.
- Visuospatial Skills: An inability to judge distances or see objects in 3D.
- Orientation: Difficulty keeping track of the time or their location.
- Personality changes: Perhaps becoming irritable, suspicious or fearful.
Cannabis is useful for people who are affected by dementia. Drug used to treat severe nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy. Dementia massively impacts a person’s quality of life. Cannabis could help to manage and prevent some behavioral symptoms of dementia.
If you have any questions or concerns about cannabis use and the risk of dementia or other brain disorders, please visit westside caregivers in Los Angeles.